top of page

Part 1 Ted Bundy: The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing

Updated: Apr 19, 2021

As children we’re always told not to talk to strangers. We’re told this for a good reason. You never know what is on the mind of a person you don’t know. You can’t even know what’s on the mind of a person you share a home with. This terrifying notion will be put into your head reading this post.

The man I’m here to write about tonight had the world around him fooled. Everyone from his family to his friends to perfect strangers saw him as charming and personable. Even the judge at his trial commented on how intelligent he was. For Theodore ”Ted” Bundy, manipulation and mind games were just every day life.

Theodore Robert Bundy was born on November 24, 1946. He was born to his mother, Eleanor Louise Cowell at the Elizabeth Lund Home for Unwed Mothers in Burlington, Vermont. Due to his grandparents strict religious beliefs, he was told that they were his parents while he was raised to believe that his biological mother was his older sister. Even though his life was started on a lie, his childhood was very normal. He commented himself on having an unevenful childhood. Friends and family that knew him could confirm as much.

As uneventful as their accounts may be, there are others. His grandmother apparently suffered from depression and agoraphobia. His grandfather was also said to have a bad temper that he wasn’t above taking out on animals or other people. Stories of Ted’s grandfather have him swinging cats around by their tails, kicking dogs, and beating people. While Ted always spoke affectionately of him, others say he was a violent man with a raging temper. Many have speculated that he may even be Ted’s biological father. It is said that the already violent man raped and impregnated his daughter. It has even been said that Louise, as Ted’s mother was known, said that her father had raped her.

While Ted’s true lineage will probably never be known, there has been speculation. While some sources say his father is listed as unknown on his birth certificate, Ann Rule claimed in her book, ”The Stranger Beside Me” that his father was in fact listed as an Airforce veteran named Lloyd Marshall. Although, journalists Stephen Michaud and Hugh Aynesworth made the claim in their book, ”The Only Living Witness: The True Story of Serial Sex Killer Ted Bundy” that a war veteran named Jack Worthington was his father. It’s not clear which, if any of these men fathered baby Ted, but one man did evenually adopt him after marrying Louise. Johnnie Bundy, a cook for a military hospital came into the boy’s life at the age of three.

It was then that his life was changed drastically and suddenly. He was moved with Louise from the Philadelphia home he’d known with his grandparents to Tocoma, Washington. His last name was changed from Cowell to Nelson so not to draw attention to his illegitimacy. It was after this move that Louise met Johnnie Bundy and married him in 1951. At the age of five Ted had a new step father that he was very jealous of and didn’t get along with. He acted out regularly, even going as far as to throw a tantrum in the middle of a Sears department store on one occasion. As a part of his fit he wet his pants right there in the store.

Relations remained tense between Ted and his step father, but that didn’t stop Johnnie from adopting the boy later into his marriage with Louise. Ted became very materialistic and decided that he deserved better than could be provided for him. He grew resentful of Johnnie for not being able to give him all of the expensive things he desired. From this resentment and desire for better grew his fantasies to be adopted by westren stars such as Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. As he grew older, he found something else frustrating about his step father, his intellect. It’s said that he would often provoke Johnnie until he finally struck at the boy. Given Ted’s own intellect it’s fair to think that his step father’s threatened him.

Bundy had a better relationship with his mother. She had four more children with Johnnie Bundy, but always made sure her oldest was cared for as well. He was raised with his mother, step father, and half siblings. It’s unclear exactly when he learned that Louise was his mother, but both accounts involve him seeing his birth certificate. In the first account Ted finds the certificate himself as a teenager and sees that his ”sister’s” name is marked as his mother and his father is marked as unknown. In the second account he’s teased by a cousin as a preteen about being illegitimate and this cousin shows him the birth certificate to prove it to him.

While we’re unsure of exactly how or when he learned the truth, we know he became resentful of his mother for it. An account from a friend that tried to console him over the issue states that Ted told him “Well, it’s not you that’s the bastard.” He began harboring resentment for Louise over the humiliation he felt after finding out the truth. Another sore spot for Ted in regards to his mother was an admitted feeling of being unloved as a child. He admitted to these feelings after his capture, but also appreciated her for ”paying the bills,” as he put it.

As a child, young Ted Bundy was small and ”girlish” in stature. This, along with his speech impedament caused a lot of bullying from other kids. His social skills were also underdeveloped in his youth. He wouldn’t develope the charm he used to insnare his victims until he was older. When in the boy scouts, he had a hard time keeping up with the other boys, causing more teasing from them. His dress also made him a target as he wore really short shorts. This kind of dress was normal for girls, but not for boys. It was said that his dress accentuated his girlish figure.

It was from a young age that Ted started displaying disturbing behavior. This started at the age of three when he became fascinated by knives. The boy’s aunt even recalled an instance when she awoke from a nap to see that three-year-old Ted had placed knives all around her sleeping body. A childhood neighbor of his remembered him hanging a neighborhood cat from a clothsline in the back yard, dousing it in lighter fluid, and setting it on fire. Unfortunately, the poor cat had already died by the time adults ran to extinguish it. This same neighbor stated that he also used to terrorize the neighborhood children by taking them into the woods and making them strip. It was stated that the poor children could be heard screaming for blocks.

It didn’t just stop at the neighborhood kids and cats, though. A fellow boy scout from his troop remembers a young Ted trying to sneak up behind him with a stick to hit him over the head. Others remeber him liking to scare people, which he denied in later interviews after his capture. His most heinous of so-called pranks were his ”tiger traps” in which he would dig holes in the ground and place stakes inside then cover with vegetation. A girl once hurt her leg falling into one of his dangerous childhood traps.

He was also a big fan of graphic detective stories depicting rape and murder in gorey detail. With the possibility of him accessing graphic pornographic material while living with his grandfather in Philadelphia, he may have started looking at pornography himself before he was a teenager. By the time he reached junior high school he was getting caught masterbating in closets. When his classmates caught him they would throw water on him, furthering his humiliation. It was also in his teen years he began breaking the law by shoplifting expensive items he couldn’t afford and peeping on women in their homes.

It is highly possible that Ted Bundy killed his first victim when he was only fourteen-years-old. Ann Marie Burr, only eight-years-old at the time of her disappearence, was taken from her home in the middle of the night. The killer only left an open window, an unlocked door, and a footprint among few other clues at the scene. She was taken from her home while her parents and sister were present. Others confirmed victims of Bundy’s were taken from their homes while others were nearby as well. Ann Marie’s mother always felt that her daughter knew her attacker. She’s not off base, seeing as how most victims do know their attackers. Ted was also the family’s paper boy, giving him plenty of chance to meet the little girl.

Ted denied responsibility for this poor little girl’s disappearence. That didn’t stop her mother from writing him before his 1989 execution looking for closure on her daughter’s case. While he claimed to be responsible for more deaths than he was changed with, he never confessed to Ann Marie Burr’s murder. This sweet little girl wouldn’t get justice and her poor family wouldn’t see closure. In 2011 it was found that there was not enough amplifiable DNA from her case to be compared with Ted’s own DNA. To this day, it remains highly possible that fourteen-year-old Ted Bundy was responsible for the death of eight-year-old Ann Marie Burr.

After his awkward days of primary, junior high, and high school he attended multiple colleges as an undergraduate trying to find his niche. These schools included The University of Puget Sound, Temple University, and the University of Washington. He went into school planning on majoring in Chinese and urban planning. He ended up settling upon psychology and graduated, “with distinction” as he put it, in 1972 from the University of Washington. I’m sure they’re just so proud.

This drive to be a well educated politian wasn’t just born from his obession with a better life. It also had a lot to do with a girl. Her name was Diane Edwards, but is known in literature by the pseudonym Stephanie Brooks. He decribed her as being ”a beautiful dresser, beautiful girl. Very Personable. Nice car, great parents.” He admitted that he felt as though she was out of his league. I’m not going to say he was right.

It’s suspected by Ann Rule, who not only wrote the book on Ted Bundy, but worked right next to him at a suicide prevention hotline, that Diane was his first intimate partner. This would explain the strong feelings he had for her. It would certainly explain the big impact he said himself that she had on him. All of this could also be explained by her well-off parents, nice car, nice clothes, and guarentee of a nice life.

The summer before the couple’s break-up Diane went home to California. It was during this visit that she would start to see things more clearly than before. How immature Ted was. How irreponsible he was. She just didn’t feel that Ted Bundy was the man to have a future with. Boy, was she right! She informed him upon returning from her summer trip that he just didn’t have the drive or the career goals that she looked for in a long-time boyfriend. With that, she ended the relationship.

This break-up crushed Ted. He immediately enrolled in school, buckled down, and got his degree in psychology. Had this break-up only effected him in the sense that he bettered himself to prove to Diane that he wasn’t immature and without drive or goals, that would’ve been great. Unfortunately, for the thirty-six confirmed victims of his, this would be far from his only reaction. His victims were later found to have similar physical characteristics to the girl that got away. Is it possible that the break-up had such a massive impact on Bundy that it released the evil lurking within?

Later, while living with his long-time girlfriend Elizabeth Kloepfer, he would rekindle this relationship as a changed man. Instead of breaking things off with his girlfriend and dedicating himself to Diane, he just treated Diane like she wasn’t very inportant all. The rekindled partnership was short-lived and ended with Bundy essentially ghosting her. She was hurt and wondering why he was so affectionate to start, then cooled off with no reason whatsoever. Then, after treating her so coldly for weeks, just disappearing with no warning or reason why. Little did she realize when Ted looked her back up, he was really looking for revenge. Considering what he would confess to just before his death sentence in 1989, I’d say she was the luckiest of all.

Ted ultimately decided on a career in law. A psychology professor writing his law school recommendation letter wrote, “I regret Mr. Bundy’s decision to pursue a career in law rather than to continue his professional training in psychology. Our loss is your gain.” While Ted really wanted to attend a prestigious law school, much to his shigrin, he was rejected by his top choices. He ended up attending law school at the University of Puget Sound. In September of 1973 he started taking night classes towards his law degree. It didn’t take the young Bundy long to start skipping classes. Can we guess why?

It was after his break-up with Diane and in the midst of his forced maturity that he met his long-time girlfrind, Elizabeth ”Liz” Kloepfer. They met at a bar in 1969 and ironically Liz approached him because she was trying to escape a ”creepy guy” that was there. Yeah, you read that right. That was just how good he was. Liz had recently moved to the Seattle area after a divorce. She was a single mom scraping by to make ends meet and struggling with alcoholism. She had taken a secratary job at the University of Washington Medical School and usually didn’t go out to bars to save on her small paychecks. This night she‘d had a friend suggest she get a babysitter and blow off some steam.

Upon approaching Ted she told him, ”You look like your friend just died.” She said that conversation just flowed naturally and he spent the night at her house platonically that night. It wasn’t long after this chance encounter that the two became a couple. The chemistry was so instant they’d already felt it the night they met. In her book released in 1981 Liz says she handed her life over to him and just let him take care of her. I’m sure this was a nice feeling as a newly single mother. There was downside to this, though. She says she became more and more dependent upon him.

A quote from her book reads, ”When I felt his love I was on top of the world; when I felt nothing from Ted, I felt that I was nothing.” The pyschological abuse taking place here is very apparent, but what more could you expect from a monster like Ted Bundy? She said that he held very strong feelings for her, but they were very inconsistent as well. This hot and cold relationship would continue until his capture. Even after she started to suspect him to the point of tipping the police off anonymously, she stayed. She just didn’t want to believe that this could be true. When she’d inquire about odd behaviors or actions he used his charm to get out of it. She found a meat cleaver on his desk, a surgical glove in his coat pocket, and was wondering about him making a trip to Colorado one night to ”De-stress from work.”

Through it all she stayed with him. The strange things that he did or was found in his car. Even when he tried to rekindle his romance with Diane while they were still living together. This, she didn’t find out until later on, though. The signs lingered in plain sight, but Ted was so charming and seemed so normal that no one really believed he could be capable of such things.

It was February of 1974 that the University of Washington was missing it’s first female student. Lynda Ann Healy was twenty-one. She was born in 1952 and she was a beautiful girl. So beautiful in fact, it was said she could’ve easily pursued a modeling career. She had big, blue eyes that sparkled in the sun and long auburn hair that could catch the moon. Her big, bright smile was always ready to meet a new friend. She was a psychology major and often worked with children with disabilities.

Lynda was an above average student. She had lived an upper-class kind of life with her parents and two other siblings in the suburbs. She had self-assurance in abundance and was full of life and love. She loved to take pictures and took a camera with her everywhere she went. She was well known for her morning weather reports and ski reports. As Ted was an avid skier, he was more than familiar with her ski reports. She was well know for being very bright and responsible. Everyone knew they could count on Lynda.

The day before her disappearence she awoke at 5:30 in the morning for work at the Northewest Ski Reports. After finishing work for the day she attended her classes at UW. She had originally planned on going to a chorus practice on campus later in the afternoon of that day. She had also planned on making a special dinner for her parents and brother the following night. The dinner was scheduled for 6:00pm the next night. She borrowed a roommate’s car to go grocery shopping and returned home at around 8:30 that night. From there her and several roommates decided to walk to a nearby tavern known as Dante’s for some beers.

In the weeks before her death, Lynda had complained of stomach pains. The night of her disappearence, she was described as happy, lively, and talkative. She talked on various subjects with her roommates. No subject between psychology and music went untouched by the girls. After returning home from the tavern the girls retired to their respective rooms. One roommate would tell police later that Lynda had come to her room at around 11:30 to talk before returning to her own room sometime around midnight. It was that night that Ted Bundy accended their front steps and tried their door to find it open. With a satistfied smirk on his smug face, he planned to come back later on.

It was the following morning, the first of February, that Lynda failed to show up to work. When her 5:30am alarm went off, on schedule, her roommate heard it continue to sound. The girl went into Lynda’s room to check on her and didn’t see her. Assuming she had went on to work, she thought little of it at first. It wasn’t long after this discovery that her employer called to inquire as to her whereabouts. Her roommates were reasonably concerned, but waited for her parents and brother’s arrival for dinner that night to voice their concerns.

When the family heard that Lynda had failed to make it to work and hadn’t been seen on campus that day her mother called police right away. The Seattle Police department responded to the girls’ home and investigated her bedroom. The state of Lynda’s bed was concerning to her roommates as she never made her bed when she was scheduled for work early in the morning. They also said that when she did make her bed she never tucked the pillow underneath the blanket as it was found that day. The police did note “The room was very neat.” A more thorough look would reveal more, though.

Lieutenant Pat Murphy was the one to pull back the bedspread and find the blood right where her head and neck would’ve laid. He also checked her closet and found her nightgown hanging neatly. There was more blood around the neck. It was upon interviewing roommates that authorites found out that items were missing from Lynda’s room. These items included a pink satin pillow case, the clothes she had worn the previous night, her backpack, and her keys. Her roommates had also found their back door to be wide open. While Lynda typically came in the side door and parked her bike on the landing inside, she always made sure to close and lock the door afterward.

It was three long days after Lynda’s abduction that a 911 call was made. The male voice on the line said, ”Listen, and listen carefully. The person that attacked that girl on the eighth of last month and the person that took Lynda Healy away are one and the same. He was outside both houses. He was seen.” The caller hung up and was never identified. In my humble opinion, it almost sounds as though he was trying immulate The Zodiac killer with this call to police. This also could’ve just as easily been some anonymous stranger that just didn’t want to be identified for one reason or another.

The attack that the caller spoke of had occured a month prior on January 4, 1974. The attck had been on 18-year-old college student, Joni Lenz as she’s known in Ann Rule’s book. She’s currently known as Karen Sparks. As much as I tried to find some background information about her all I could find was articles about her attack. I did manage to find out that she’s still alive, though with permanent brain damage for the attack.

She was attacked in her sleep after the intruder, thought to be Bundy, broke into her basement bedroom. He tore a metal rod from her bed frame and beat her with it. He didn’t stop there. In true sickening Bundy fashion, he used the same metal rod to rape her with. Obviously, she survived as one of the lucky ones. Even luckier for her, she sustained no memory of the attack due to the severe brain trauma. She spent ten days in a coma before awaking with her memory of the unfortunate events wiped clean. No one knew at the time who had committed the attack. It’s widely believed today that she was Ted’s first victim at UW.

Bundy’s next attack would occur on March 12 of 1974. Donna Gail Manson was a 19-year-old student of Evergreen College in Olympia, Washington. She had long, flowing brown hair and beautiful blue eyes. Her missing person’s report describes her as being five feet tall and approximately one hundred pounds. It also states that “she was last seen wearing a red, orange, and green striped top with green slacks and a black maxi-coat.” Very seventies, I can dig it.

Donna was born June 9, 1954. She was described as being a shy girl. This strong young woman battled anxiety and depression like a champ. She never let it hold her back for a second. Instead, she buckled down and worked hard to accomplish her goals. She wanted to get her English degree and become a teacher.

Donna was on her way to attend a jazz concert at her campus’ library at seven the evening of her disappearence. She would never make it to that concert. A week would pass before she was reported missing as she was known to take off for days or weeks at a time. She’d even been known to hop on trains and take off out of nowhere without telling a soul of her intentions. Donna was also an irregular attendee of her classes. She much prefered the care-free party kind of a lifestyle to school. Who could blame her? It was the seventies and she was in college.

Few details would be given when he finally confessed to her killing just before being put to death himself. Her body was never discovered and it’s unknown how he abducted her. It’s always possible he used his later method of faining injury and asking for assistance of some kind. This was the first time Bundy had abducted somebody off of the street, as opposed to their bedroom. Being an eerily intelligent man attending law school, it’s possible he learned that if he kept taking women from their rooms eventually police might gather some evidence that ties back to him.

While Ted never gave a location for her remains, it’s believed that there was another dump site in the beginning of his reign of terror that he also committed the murders at. This undiscovered location is believed to hold the bodies of four other women’s missing remains along with Donna’s. It seems the only truth to his statement is killing her. He also said in a taped interview later made into a Nexflix documentary that he burned Donna’s skull in Liz’s fireplace and said that she would never forgive him for that. It’s impossible to believe this statement as it take anywhere from 1500-2000 degrees Fahrenheit to fully cremate a body. A fireplace will only heat as high as 1000 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s likely this comment was only made as way of getting back at Liz after finding out about her call to police.

Just barely more than a month passed before Bundy was at it again. Susan Elaine Rancourt would disappear on April 17, 1974, but not before Ted tried to abduct two other women on the same CWU he abducted Donna and Susan from. These women were Katherine D’Olivio and Jane Curtis. They gave detailed, but slightly differing accounts of their close calls with Bundy. First, Katherine noted that he was well-dressed and wearing glasses, Jane on the other hand saw him dressed shabbily with a woolen hat and not wearing glasses. Both girls, however, described a charming man with an injured arm asking for help carrying his bag of books to his car.

Katherine agreed to help, but never gave Ted the opportunity to get behind her. Preferring to attack from behind, he had to adapt and find another way to make his move. Dropping his keys under the car, he told her he couldn’t get to them with his arm in a sling. Still not wanting him behind her she suggested they just stand back a second and try locating them visually first. She saw them, leaned over to grab them quickly and popped back up to drop the keys into his hand before he had a second to react. She quickly left, unharmed. Luckily, he hadn’t been very convincing and raised her suspiscions almost immediately.

Jane wasn’t as fast to grow suspicious. She carried the books all the way to his car, trusting him right up until they got there. When asked to put the bag in the backseat Jane dropped the books and ran away as fast as her legs could carry her. These fortunate young women weren’t just lucky. Bundy learned quickly from his mistakes and adapted to situations and surroundings like an animal on the prowl. When he couldn’t get behind Katherine he tried to get Jane to lean into the car instead.

Susan, born October 12, 1955 wouldn’t be as lucky as the last two. By this point Ted had learned from two mistakes and adjusted accordingly. A little wiser in all the wrong ways, he used this to ensnare Susan. She was only eighteen at the time and was considered by her family to be a very logical person. They said she was a hard-working straight A student that always knew what she wanted. Studing biology at CWU, it’s safe to say had she not crossed paths with Bundy she would’ve been one of the pioneering women in the STEM field.

Her parents believed from the start that she had been taken. They were not wrong, but they wouldn’t find out for sure until Ted confessions just before his death sentence was carried out. It was after that they discovered her skull on Taylor Mountain with so many other victim’s remains. Susan had taken her clothes to the campus laundry room and went on to an advisory meeting. She was trying to look into a job as a dorm advisor. She had told friends that she made plans to see a German movie after the meeting. After the movie she was going to get her laundry and go back to her dorm for the night.

It was on her way to the German movie that she was abducted. Ted likely would’ve had an easier time with her than the last two women for a specific reason. He’d known Susan in childhood. She had been an aquaintance of Ted’s childhood friend, Terry Storwick. Terry and Susan commonly went jogging together and would uncommonly hang out with mutual friends. Ted could’ve recognized her and used this past knowledge of each other to put her at ease. It probably wouldn’t have seemed strange to her at all that Terry’s childhood friend would ask her about him or how he was doing.

It would take fifteen long years before Susan’s poor family would get answers. While they knew all along that she’d been abducted and the culprit likely hadn’t spared her for that long, they had no idea who it was. As stories of a deranged serial killer took over the news, they were likely always correctly assuming that he was responsible, but hoping beyond hope that he wasn’t.

May 6, 1974 saw another disappearance of another bright and beautiful young lady. Roberta Kathleen Parks, better known as Kathy was born February 27, 1954. She had the same long dark hair parted in the middle like all of the rest of Bundy’s victims. Research into her background turned up little. It is known, however that at the time of her disappearence she was struggling emotionally for a couple of different reasons. The first was due to her rocky relationship with her father. The night she disappeared she was contacted by her sister informing her that their father had suffered a heart attack. He was in stable condition and seemed very likely to recover, though.

The next struggle in her personal life was with her boyfriend, Christy McPhee. Kathy was in love with the boy, but was concerned that he was moving too fast. He was ready to commit and settle down very quickly and Kathy was still trying to attend school and figure out her future. She wasn’t ready to settle down with a boy yet. Bundy recalled her being ”depressed and lonely or something,” when he admitted to approaching her in the Memorial University Commons cafeteria.

It was from there he abducted her. This crime was different in a couple of key way. This attack took place at Oregon State University in instead of Washington’s CWU campus. This was his attempt to knock police off of his trail. Cherrell Smith, a friend of Kathy’s, saw her leaving her room shortly before eleven on the night of May 6th. Cherrell said that Kathy was on her way to the Common’s cafeteria for her usual late-night dinner. Lorraine Fargo, another friend, also saw Kathy near the cafeteria. The two stopped to talk before parting ways.

Bundy later admitted to meeting Kathy here. While it’s not known exactly how he engaged her, it’s thought that he overheard Lorraine and Kathy talking. She had been open about her struggles around campus and Bundy likely could’ve heard of her troubles from anywhere. Lorraine Fargo commented to police later on that she had been followed around the campus library by a man matching Ted’s descrpition. He had been trying to strike up a conversation with her. It’s possible that Lorraine had been the original intended target, but Bundy then zeroed in on Kathy because she was more vulnerable.

This crime was different from his others in another way. Kathy was transported awake rather than unconcious as the others had been. He drove her to a remote location in his creepy Volkswagon altered for his dark proclivities. He told her to undress before raping her. He transported her once more, still concious, to Taylor Mountain where he raped her once more before killing her. Her skull would later be found there like so many others.

June of 1974 he would strike twice in less than two weeks. Both crimes would have witnesses come forward telling of a man with a handicap asking women for help. Brenda Ball, just twenty-two, was seen by witnesses talking with a man around 2am outside of the Flame Tavern in the south of Seattle on the first of June. These witnesses say the brown-haired man she was speaking with in the parking lot had his arm in a sling. Classic Bundy move.

She was a bright and lovely young woman. She had long brown hair, of course parted in the middle. She also had twinkling brown eyes. The night she disappeared she had asked a musican at the bar for a ride, but he was going the opposite direction. Until two weeks before this night Brenda had been a student of Highline Community College. She was said to be partying harder than usual during this time as she was unsure of which path to take in her life next. While most say they saw her talking with Bundy outside another witness says she was planning to hitchhike home and left on her own.

She was described by many as being a free spirited young lady. While today we would consider someone that hitchhiked regularly as living a high risk kind of lifestyle, back in the seventies this was not uncommon. It was quite normal for people to hitchhike, and not just from one local location to another. Many people would hitchhike from state to state across the country. With Brenda in need of a ride home and also being intoxicated it’s possible Bundy had little trouble getting her inside the car.

Later on in interviews Ted would ”speculate” about many of these of cases. Here he ”speculated” that the killer must have chosen a tavern parking lot as a hunting ground that night to throw police off the scent of the ”campus killer” as he was called by media. Brenda’s skull was also found on Taylor Mountain.

Georgann Hawkins was abducted on June eleventh. A full news report was done about her life in her mother’s later years. It was her mother’s hope that Georgann not just be remembered as another victim of Bundy’s. She was born August 20, 1955 and had the same brown hair, long and parted down the middle. She also had brown eyes, like many of the other girls. She was known as a ”wiggle worm” when she was a child. She was regularly sent home from school for moving about and talking too much. Her mother recalled many notes made by teachers in her report cards. There were apparently few without notes.

She was a popular girl that like to hang around in many different crowds. She had older and younger friends in many cirlces throughout her life. Her mother decribed her as being self-confident, and never vein, arrogant, or snooty. From 1972-1973 as a senior in high school she was called to the royal court of the Washington Daffodil Festival. She was pictured in the paper traveling all over the state her senior year with the royal court. They attended concerts and charity events as well as riding in parades, meeting children and signing autographs. It sounds like this was a very big year for her and her mother called it “a wonderful experiance.” She even addressed lawmakers on a trip to the state Legislature.

George as she was known by her friends, or Pied Piper as her mother called her, wanted to go in to TV journalism. Her mother remarked that she loved being in front of the camera. She had done some modeling during her year on the royal court so this was something she’d be comfortable with. She joined a sorority and moved into the house on campus. She was loving college life by all accounts and thriving at the school.

George had spent the day just before her abduction studying for finals coming up. She took a break to go to a party with some friends and only had a few beers at the gathering. She planned to return to her sorority house to study for a Spanish test that was particularly concerning to her. She left the party with one of her roommates and walked the girl back to their shared house. Georgann left her friend there to walk the 150 yards or so to her boyfriend’s fraternity house for a short visit. She left to return to home, passing many open windows with many other students also studying for their own upcoming finals. In one of these open windows a friend spotted her walking by and called out to her. After talking for a few minutes and noticing a cackling kind of laughter from the shadows somewhere, George departed.

The walk from her friend’s dorm room window to her sorority house’s entrance was only a mere fifty feet. Somehow, somewhere in that fifty feet Georgann vanished without a sound to alert a soul on campus. Friends and family knew right away that she had been killed. She was a happy and responsible girl with no reason to run away. She was about to take her finals and go home to Tacoma, Washington for the summer. Like the family members and friends of the other victims, her’s would not get any information or sense of closure for fifteen years. Her body was never discovered.

As this post seems to be quite long enough I will stop here. Not many would be able to read such a big case and a long post at once. I’d hate for anyone reading not to able to find where they left off without a hassle. I’ll leave off here for now and pick up on Part 2 Ted Bundy: The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing.

0 views0 comments
bottom of page